Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Interview With Author Misa Ramirez

Interview Melissa Ramirez, author of A Magical Dressmaking Mystery Series, and the Lola Cruz Mysteries. Her new book, A Deadly Curse, was released on April 19th, 2011.




 
OP: What is your writing process? Do you follow a regular routine?


MR: I’m a minimal plotter. I get a nugget of an idea and run with it, seeing where it takes me and my story.


This is true whether I’m writing my Lola Cruz Mysteries, my new Magical Dressmaking Mystery series, or my romantic suspenses (A Deadly Curse, available now, or A Deadly Sacrifice, coming in May). My ideas usually stem from something I’ve read, heard about, or have in my memory banks. From there, it develops, often requiring research to flesh it out.


This was especially true when it came to writing A Deadly Curse. It’s based on the legend of la Llorona. As an aside, I’d written this book in its current form, but because of my other mysteries, I thought about restructuring it to be more of a mystery with a little quirk. I discussed it with Alex Sokoloff when we were at a retreat in South Carolina, and boy, oh boy, she did not like the light treatment of the legend of la Llorona! I remember feeling like I’d been scolded for not taking a legend seriously, when in fact I had already taken it very seriously and written about it. But she was right, and I went back to the original book, tightening it and making it even darker, respecting the legend(s) and all they represent. It was definitely the right decision. Gracias, Alex, for sending me back to my original manuscript!
 


OP: Your latest book, A Deadly Curse, was released on April 19th, 2011. Please tell us about it.


MR: Back to La Llorona. My husband, Carlos, grew up hearing the story. His parents, Tias, and Tios, and every other adult around, would tell the kids the story. Their purpose? To frighten them enough so they wouldn’t wander off alone. La Llorona was the Mexican boogeyman.


I first learned about the legend of the crying woman after I met Carlos (we’ve now been married 20 years and have five children, so la Llorona has been part of my consciousness for a long time). We’d go camping with his brothers and sisters and their spouses, sit around the campfire, and invariably, the stories would begin. Before long, a low, haunting sound would float through the air. La Llorona. It was as if the ghost was right there, her wails coming from the banks of the river through the trees.


It didn’t take long to figure out that it was my husband making the haunting sounds, but the legend itself was spooky and stayed with me from the first time I heard the story. A woman kills her children by drowning them in the river. After she realizes what she’s done, she drowns herself. Legend has it that the woman has been haunting riverbanks ever since, looking for her children. Kids are warned to stay away from the rivers so la Llorona doesn’t steel them, thinking they are hers.


Creepy.


Yet fascinating.
 


OP: Did you learn anything from writing A Deadly Curse and what was it?


MR: When I began plotting A Deadly Curse, I needed to learn more about la Llorona. Why did she drown her children? That, I figured, would inspire my plot. Little did I know that the legend of la Llorona was far more complex than I’d ever imagined.


What I learned was that there are actually four different stories behind the legend. My husband’s family knew only one of them. Everyone I’ve talked to since then has only known one, or possibly two different versions. No one has known all four of the stories.


The woman in each story was called something different:


La Ramera (the harlot)


La Bruja (the witch)


La Virgin (the virgin)


La Sirena (the siren)


Needless to say, learning about the four different stories set my plot in a new direction. The knowledge created new opportunities and obstacles for my characters, and I couldn’t have done a better job if I’d painstakingly plotted. Research opens doors for me, taking my stories in fascinating directions I couldn’t have created if I’d tried. The uncertainty and reveals during the process makes writing that much more interesting, albeit nerve-wracking, for me. I always have a roadmap, so I know where I’m going to end up, but if I don’t always know the exact route I’ll take to get there. And if I don’t know exactly where the story is going, I can’t leave a subconscious trail of breadcrumbs for the reader.
 


OP: If you could leave your readers with one bit of wisdom, what would you want it to be?


MR: In my opinion, a great book is most often the result of clever and tight plotting, combined with discoveries made by the author during his/her writing process.


As readers, do you find some books to have too clear a path to follow and does that spoil the read? Conversely, do you find that some books ramble, going in too many directions, leaving you wondering if there was a roadmap at all?
 


*****
The marketing director for Entangled Publishing, Misa Ramirez, who also writes under the pseudonym Melissa Bourbon, teaches creative writing at Southern Methodist University-Cape, and teaches online with Savvy Authors.


Misa can be found online on Facebook and Twitter, and stripping down characters on The Naked Hero, giving away free books at Books on the House, writing about Killer Characters, and contributing to The Writer’s Guide to ePublishing.


Visit misaramirez.com for information about author Melissa Ramirez and all of her projects.


Don’t miss the exciting excerpt of her latest book, A Deadly Curse: “Jo squinted her eyes against the blinding sun, tried to get away. Mama’s really lost her mind this time! Jo struggled to break free again, but Mama jerked her forward until she was ankle-deep in water.” (full excerpt of A Deadly Curse)


A Deadly Curse is available via Kindle, Nook, Smashwords, and Amazon or Barnes & Noble


Also from Melissa Ramirez: A Deadly Sacrifice Synopsis: After a horrible night that haunts her still, Delaney West ran away from her home in San Julio, Texas, and out of Vic Vargas’s life. But now, plagued by sleepwalking and terrible dreams, she is back, working at the local vet clinic, and trying to make some sense of her screwed up life…more



3 comments:

  1. Sounds like an interesting read. I enjoy stories with a history like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. O.K., I have discovered a unique, original and interesting Literary Blog worthy of the name. It is well laid out, well-written, a great resource for the serious reader---I am amazed and impressed. So, I want to leave a suggestion in case you haven't seen it yet. There is a site called "Storywrite.com" that ought to be checked out---plenty of authors--plenty of opinions of your work as every one critiques everyone else it seems-- there are some professionals on the site -- I guess it has, in the past, been a platform for some contracts. There are two levels: Free and Paid. The latter is exceptionally reasonable. The site is as much a social site as it is a writer forum, so one can make some good friends there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. John,

    Thank you very much for you thoughtful comments and suggestions. I visited Storywrite.com. It appears to be a helpful site for writers to gain active critique.

    ReplyDelete