Friday, April 8, 2011

Fotogenic Fishies

Fotogenic Fishies

Monterey Bay Aquarium, Monterey CA

The Monterey Bay Aquarium in Monterey, California is one of our favorite places to visit. It’s a wonderful, large aquarium situated on the rocky shores of Monterey Bay. Once a cannery for catching and packaging fish, the aquarium now displays a plethora of local sea life with goals of education, exploration, and teaching conservation.

Art, Matthew, and Kayli learning about seaweed at one of the touch pools.

It may be a long time before we are able to visit California again so, I wanted to be sure to take several photographs. This was my first year with a more professional camera instead of a pocket digital or a camera phone. I was going for as many vivid and clear photographs as I could manage with my amateur photography skills.

Monterey Bay Aquarium on the shores of Monterey Bay, California

Photographing sea life is fun. The colors, habitats, and species of creatures seem endless. It’s also difficult to get a clear shot. They move…fast. Even the anchored ones can’t stay still. These submarine sea critters don’t know the meaning of sit, or stay, don’t hold a pose, and don’t vogue.

Open pool with floating magnifying lenses for looking but not touching.

Fortunately, during this trip, they were feeling cooperative. I was amazed how many animals approached the glass where I was poised, crouched with my camera. And they actually stayed still long enough for a few nice photographs. I was asked by other people how I was getting the animals to pose; as if I’d done it on purpose. No, it was just a happy accident that added some attractive sea life to my photography portfolio…

 
 


 






3 comments:

  1. Wow These are beautiful shots. They really posed for ya! I love all the brilliant colors and that one of the sea dragon I think is my fave LOL. So when are we going there? :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Elise! We're going as soon as we find that stash of cash. We'll take that road trip soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have captured some beautiful shots.


    Wanda
    The Watered Soul

    ReplyDelete